A Guide to the ABRSM Syllabus (2018 - 2020)
2021 & 2022 Syllabus
Click here for an index of resources for the 2021 & 2022 syllabus.
This series contains resources and further links to other resources featuring the ABRSM syllabi (until 2020) and is designed for elementary level players, young musicians and their teachers. Some articles in this series will provide a step-by-step (or phrase-by-phrase) approach to learning a piece thoroughly and securely, building a solid foundation for performance in an exam or if you are playing a piece simply for pleasure. Other articles will offer practice exercises to help solve technical problems or tricky passages, or will provide introductory material designed to be practised before you approach the piece in the exam book. The series will also be covering other topics such as scales and arpeggios with general tips and practice worksheets for each grade.
The following articles provide walkthroughs with downloadable, printable worksheets that players can take with them to the piano to guide them in their practice. They are set out clearly, making it easy for teachers to give a section or two as a practice assignment for that week:
- Grade 1 A1: JC Bach - Aria in F
- Grade 3 A1: Handel - Sonatina in G
- Grade 4 B2: Schumann - The Merry Farmer
- Grade 5 B1: Chopin - Sostenuto in E flat
- Grade 7 B1: Chopin - Nocturne in C-sharp minor (Op. Posth.)
- Grade 8 C2: Brahms - Intermezzo in A minor (Op. 76 No. 7)
2019 - 2020 Syllabus
- Grade 6 – A4: Menuet 1 & 2 from Partita No. 1 in B-flat Major (BWV 825)
- Grade 6 – B1: Bruch Moderato from Sechs Klavierstücke (Op. 12, No. 4)
- Grade 6 – B2: Chopin Prelude in B Minor (Op. 28 No. 6)
- Grade 7 – A5: Gigue from Partita No. 1 in B-flat Major (BWV 825)
The following articles provide introductory material designed to be practised before you approach the piece in the exam book:
- The Basics of Playing Scales
- The Basics of Playing Arpeggios
- Grade 1 - Scales and Broken Chords
- Grade 5 - Scales and Arpeggios
Subscribe for full access!
Get full access to this content in addition to our growing library of over 1000 articles, videos and other resources for as little as £9.99 per month or £99.99 a year. Click here to sign-up or click here to find-out more (click here to sign-in to view this page if you are already a subscriber).