Fundamentals of Piano Practice
30 Jul 2021 @ 13:00 UTC
Have you ever sat at the piano unsure of how to begin learning a new piece or how to practise it? Or do you spend ages practising only to be disappointed with the results?In this online workshop, Graham Fitch outlines a collection of principles and demonstrates foundational practice tools behind learning pieces and practising more effectively. Based on Graham’s eBook series and original practice tools workshops, the workshop will cover the following:
- How to analyse your piece: Before embarking on note learning, you will need some sort of a map of the terrain. Analysis does not have to be academic or dry – we will explore a few different and creative approaches to gain a clear overview of the shape and structure of the music
- The importance of a good fingering: To assist with the process of automation (muscle memory) planning the fingering is essential. However, the printed fingering is a suggestion only so we will be covering some of the principles of fingering and how to choose the fingering that fits your hand.
- Using “The Three S’s” in day-to-day practice: How to apply the principles of “Slowly”, “Separately”, and “Sections” to achieve real results from your practice session.
- Deep-learning techniques: Many players apply a superficial repeated play-through approach in their practice, creating frustration when things do not improve. Liszt advised us to “make haste slowly”, and in this segment we will explore some aspects of deliberate, methodical practice that are absorbing and creative, and that yield permanent results.
- The two practice states: Practising is a mindful process involving self-diagnosis and an understanding of how to apply the practice tools at every stage. When we prepare for a performance there is a different focus, where non-stop run-throughs become part of our training.
This workshop is a revised version of one of our most popular workshops. If you have attended one of our previous sessions you may still find it useful as it will feature new repertoire, examples and opportunities for questions and answers. The session will be recorded and all participants will receive a link to download the video. Therefore, if you are unable to attend the session on the day, you will still be able to watch the video at your convenience.
Discounted tickets are available to Online Academy subscribers. Please sign-in to your account and the discount will be automatically added at the check-out. If you are not an Online Academy subscriber and would like to find out more about subscription options then please click here for further information.
Click here to subscribe and save 40% on this product!